Sunday, January 2, 2011

It also seems like a good idea this time.

So try two. The one where the internet hopefully won't disappear on me a few months in, and I lose steam and peter out on this. 365 days, 365 new things tried in 2011.

#1 - Only natural for New Years Day, I try a hangover remedy I've heard about. Coconut Water. Supposed to be chock full of electrolytes, vitamins and most importantly hydration. I slept most of the day away, so by the time I dragged my ass out of the house to get this remedy, the gremlin tearing apart at the inside of my skull had mostly tuckered itself out.
So the fact that I actually managed to eat something after finishing it, could be due to my delay in trying it, but I did feel a lot better. Not sure if I could have stomached when I'd first rolled out of bed that morning, when it might have saved me from having the usual New Years Day of being completely useless to all the world. Don't think the so sweet it's nearly rotten type taste would have sat well with my enraged stomach. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

#2 - The Hudsucker Proxy.

Already knew I was heading out to see True Grit the next day, because dammit, something that good on paper cannot stay in theaters for too much longer without me going to see it, companion or no companion. So I thought I'd plug one of my few remaining Coen Bros. blind spots.

All I knew about it was that there was an iconic hapless bastard POV sequence of falling from the top floor of a high rise. Which it totally does. Wow.

Oh and it's got Paul Newman in it. Seriously, Coens...you hadn't even made Fargo yet, and bloody Butch Cassidy is in your movie? What a coup. According to wikipedia it was even first offered to Clint Eastwood, who would have taken it but for scheduling conflicts. Nothin' but love for Newman of course, but my heart flutters to think of the Man with No Name in that role.

To be honest, it's not really in their top echelon. I get it for what it is, a send up of all those 1930s and 40s screwball movies that in the end reinforce the notion that having a good heart and keeping it will make you win out in the end in this great land of ours. Art direction-wise they freakin' nailed it, but there's just something missing from it. Plus Jennifer Jason Leigh's fast-talking career woman voice made me totally unable to take her seriously.

Dah Well. Guess no one bats 1000. True Grit was freakin' awesome though.

No comments:

Post a Comment