Friday, January 28, 2011

#22 Gilda

Rita Hayworth is smokin' The sort of gal that men hurl themselves to their death for and she puts on no airs about her nature.

There's some great bitchy insults hurled back and forth between her and Glenn Ford. Yes, I did just call him bitchy.

However. SPOILER I wasn't a fan of the tied up too neatly ending. I'd thought it was noir for chrissakes, isn't everyone supposed to end up dirty and miserable?

Maybe I went too far in my earlier rant about how the Hays Code helped movies. I think this is an example of "But yeah, not all the time. Sometimes people just turn out to be not as bad as you thought and get married to make the code valid instead of ending up dead or in jail." Laaaaaame. I expected tragedy for reckless younguns toiling with powerful men above their heads, instead of a proposal and a free and clear escape from mysterious and dangerous Argentina.

I guess that it's not a good sign that I'm unhappy about happy endings, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment