Monday, January 17, 2011

#14 Unforgiven

I mean, its a Western directed by and starring Blondie from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. How on earth was it going to be anything but awesome?

I honestly don't know what to write about this on a first viewing, that hasn't already been said or doesn't deserve more attention than a blurb like this can give it. I could say that the formerly bad man being forced to revisit his past yarn is done with so much grace and sad humanity.

Talking at a party last night about Clint Eastwood being a real renaissance man reminded me that I'd never posted this yet. Also it informed me that he did some composition

Hey, this is the second Gene Hackman film I've seen where they cribbed a line of his for The Wire. What's up with that? Do I need to work my man's entire oeuvre until every character is accounted for? You know, I might just give it a shot. He doesn't get enough credit. He's got this great everyman quality that makes it look like he isn't even trying. The scene with him in the jail with the writer and English Bob where he tears down the myths of the Old West and its heroes that the writer has tried to spin about English Bob. It's mesmerizing. Anyway, who'da thunk I'd see a movie with Clint Eastwood and Morgan Freeman in it and rave about Gene Hackman. Not that I'm saying that they weren't good. I just can't talk about their beautiful acting moments without major spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment