Friday, March 11, 2011

#53 Daytrippers

Graphic novel...I think, I could be wrong, it could be a collection of issues, but it was clearly meant to be read all at once.
But it's about a man, and each issue tells a different story of a way he died. Whether it be childhood accident, a brush with random violence, or another ten or so things, you get a window into Bras de Olivia Domingos's life, what he thinks of his own and of life in general, and then it's over, and what he has done and who he has touched, is summed up in a few paragraphs of obituary, the common thread being that Bras for most of the stories, is a writer of obituaries.

At first I just thought, okay, cool gimmick, but the more I read of it, and the more I think of it afterwards, it really was a very affecting work. The point being, is that maybe you don't need to do anything grand to be remembered, for most people, it's just enough to be remembered well by the people that mattered to you.

Because in the end, though you spend your whole life writing your own story (and how easy it is to forget that for the most part, it is you behind the wheel), it's in other people's stories of you, that you continue once you can no longer write your own.

Good though, glad it got recommended to me at the comic shop because this is the type of thing that I'd never think to pick up on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment